Summertime is the perfect time to get adventurous in the kitchen and cook what you would normally order only at restaurants. These carne asada tacos are the perfect summer meal, and beautifully complement our Maddalena Zinfandel!
Recipe adapted from Carlsbad Cravings
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 25 MINUTES
- 1 ½ lb. flank steak, pounded thin
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. each salt, chili powder, onion powder
- ½ tsp. each black pepper, cayenne pepper
- Add spice mix to a small plastic bag or sealable container. Mix with a whisk or fork. Set aside.
- Add marinade ingredients to a large freezer bag and whisk to combine. Add 3 tablespoons spice mix to marinade and combine. Add steak and seal bag, removing excess air. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to grill, mix remaining spice mix with 2 tablespoons olive oil to create a spice rub.
- Remove steaks from bag and place on plates. Discard marinade. Pat steaks dry with paper towel (just so steak is not wet, do not remove marinade/spices). Rub steak all over with spice rub and let rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
- Grease and preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill steak for 7 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, for medium-rare. For medium or medium-well, continue cooking steak for an additional 5-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
- Remove steak and let rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain on a diagonal.
Click HERE to purchase our Maddalena Zinfandel, and be sure to tag us in your photos when you try out the recipe! @SanAntonioWinery #SanAntonioWinery