It’s always a good time for comfort food. If you enjoy taking your time to put together a delicious family meal, this recipe pairing would be perfect for your Sunday dinner. Filled with chunky vegetables and beef short rib, this hearty stew tastes extra comforting when shared with a Bordeaux-style blend. Our award-winning San Simeon Stormwatch has taken our fans by storm, with its intense flavors of blackberry, raspberry and with touches of spice and vanilla. There’s something unique about blends, especially those produced in the vineyards of Paso Robles.
Indulge this weekend with this beef stew recipe and a bottle, or two, of the delectable San Simeon Stormwatch. Available in-store at San Antonio Winery’s locations in Los Angeles, Paso Robles and Ontario, or at our online store – just click ‘shop’ above. Enjoy!
WINTER BEEF SHORT RIB STEW
Length of Time: 3 hours
- 2 pounds boneless short ribs, fat trimmed and cut into smaller pieces 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced 1 teaspoon coarse salt (more to taste)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup dry red wine 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut (optional) 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (optional)
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Add short ribs and sear for 4-5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and cover to cook for 2 hours. If liquid absorbs, add more wine.
- Remove short ribs, leaving sauce in pot.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, and thyme. If using celery and parsnips, add as well. Cook until fork-tender.
- Add short ribs back to pot, as well as potatoes. Bring to a boil. Cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
- Serve with salt and pepper to taste, and fresh sprig of thyme.