Summer is the season to enjoy salads the most and there’s a never-ending search for that perfect salad to enjoy over and over again. Well, our talented chef Dustin who caters to the hungry stomachs at our winery in Paso Robles brought together some fantastic flavors in his Roasted Beet and Micro Green Salad. Try his recipe!
- 3 large or 6 baby beets, assorted types if possible (purple, golden, candy stripe)
- 4 cups water
- 6 ounces micro greens
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces candied walnuts or roasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Clean beets and discard beet tops. Arrange them in a shallow baking pan and add water until beets are half submerged. You may need to add additional water.
3. Bake in oven until they are fork tender, about 45 minutes. Drain beets and reserve the water in a separate container, set aside. Place beets in the refrigerator to cool.
4. Transfer beet water to a small stainless steel saucepan and reduce it over medium/low heat until it has been reduced by two-thirds. Turn off the heat, add balsamic vinegar, and let it cool.
5. Once the beets have cooled, remove the skins. Cut the beets into salad-sized portions and arrange them on your plate. Top with micro greens, crumbles of goat cheese, and nuts.
6. Drizzle salad with beet water and balsamic reduction.
Sounds great, doesn’t it? What are you waiting for? Write up your shopping list and go pick up the ingredients you need right now so you can enjoy this salad for lunch or with your dinner!
Plan a weekend visit to the San Antonio Winery, Paso Robles to try out more great food chef Dustin churns out for us while enjoying a wine tasting!